Before making the funeral arrangements, we will carry out a search of the last known address of the deceased.
The search will focus on:
- finding a will
- evidence of family and friends
- evidence of a pre-paid funeral plan
- finding items we can use to offset the funeral costs
We will recorded any items we remove from the property in an inventory that the officers carrying out the search will sign.
We keep any items we remove:
- under secure conditions
- for a minimum of 3 months.
- until we have dealt with the funeral costs
At least two officers will conduct the search. The officers will stay in the same room together at all times to make sure:
- its carried out in a safe way
- to guard againts accusations of theft or miscconduct
You can contact our Cemeteries team for more information or to ask for a copy of this procedure.