Listed buildings

Working on a listed building

If you want to carry out any work on a listed building, you will need listed building consent.

You can apply for listed building consent on the Planning Portal.

If you are doing other work to the property, you may also need to apply for planning permission.

For information and advice about living in a listed building, you can view Historic England.

Work that requires listed building consent

You should ask for pre-application advice if you are planning to carry out work on a listed building.

A planning officer and a heritage officer will review your proposals and provide advice about:

  • whether you need planning permission
  • the likelihood of your planning application getting approval
  • any issues that you need to consider before you submit your planning application
  • the information, forms and documents you need to submit with your planning application to ensure it is valid

Before making an application for listed building consent, you must check the validation criteria.

Listed building consent applications need plans and documents that describe the work you are doing. 

You will definitely need listed building consent if you want to:

  • add an extension
  • remove historic doors, fireplaces, plasterwork or panelling
  • replace external doors or windows
  • paint the outside of the property
  • demolish all or part of property, including anything in the grounds
  • carry out repairs that would involve changing the fabric of the building or using different materials   

You don’t need listed building consent to:

  • paint and decorate the inside of the property, if you or the previous owners have already carried out similar work
  • replace modern kitchen and bathroom fittings
  • carry out regular maintenance, using traditional materials

It is a criminal offence to carry out works to a listed building without our consent. You should apply for a Lawful Development Certificate for proposed works to a listed building. This will give formal confirmation that your work does not need listed building consent. 

Emergency work

You can carry out emergency work to a listed building with our consent, but you will have to prove:

  • the work was urgent, due to health and safety or to preserve the building
  • a temporary solution was unsuitable
  • the work was limited to the minimum amount necessary
  • you gave written notice of the work as soon as possible

Double glazing

If you want to install double glazing in a listed building, you will almost always need listed building consent. 

Whether or not we can grant permission will depend on several factors and we have to assess each case individually.

If you want to change your windows you should ask for pre-application advice.


Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525