Trees on our land

Nuisance trees

Trees overhanging a property  

We will prune overhanging trees when they are: 

  • causing damage to the neighbouring property  
  • presenting a danger 
  • causing a nuisance 

We do not have an obligation to cut back branches where they cross on to your property. 

However, you can cut back branches or roots from one of our trees that overhang or grow on to your property. 

You will need to make a Tree application to carry out work on protected trees or trees in a conservation area.

To find out if a tree has a protection order, you can: 

Trees blocking natural light 

The ‘right to light’ relates to loss of light over a considerable period of time and in certain specific circumstances.

Trees interfering with television and radio reception 

Trees can interfere with television and satellite signals. Interference can be worse when trees are in leaf and during stormy weather. 

There is no right to good reception and in many cases it is possible to solve these issues by finding an engineering solution. 

We will only prune one of our trees to improve reception when: 

  • we have tried to find an engineering solution 
  • the work required is consistent with good arboricultural practice and will not unduly affect the amenity or health of the tree 
  • we can carry out the work within our financial resources  

Trees creating a nuisance 

We will not cut down or prune trees we own to resolve issues caused by natural processes such as: 

  • falling leaves, sap, fruit, nuts, bird droppings or blossom 
  • leaves falling into gutters, drains or onto flat roofs 
  • the growth of algae on fences, paths or buildings  

We decide if we need to prune a tree based on the nuisance it causes and the benefits it creates for the wider community. 

Trees causing damage to a property 

We will cut back a tree if it is touching certain parts of a building: 

  • aerials 
  • gutters 
  • roofs 
  • walls 
  • windows

If tree roots have directly caused damage to a property, we will look at this on a case by case basis. 

If you think that a tree on our land has caused damage to your property, you will need to contact your insurance company. Your insurer will usually arrange for a structural survey. If the survey finds the tree to be the cause of damage to your property, you should report it to our Landscape Services team.

Trees damaging drains 

Trees do not damage drains but they will exploit the opportunity to use a broken or faulty drain. Where this is the case, you will need to repair the damaged drain and make sure it is watertight.

Landscape Services

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525