Comment on a planning application
We will only consider comments if they relate to planning matters. Planning matters include:
- the size and scale of the proposal
- the potential loss of light
- the design and appearance of the proposal
- the potential loss of privacy or increased overlooking
- the impact on traffic and parking
- potential for additional noise and disturbance
- the impact on trees, landscape or existing buildings
Planning matters do not include:
- property value
- the loss of a view
- land ownership disputes
- preference for an alternative development
- competition for existing business
- the personal circumstance of the applicant
If you want us to consider your comment on a planning application, you need to provide your name and address.
If you don't, we will classify the comment as anonymous, and will not:
- consider it as part of the decision process
- be able to notify you of any related planning applications
If you miss the deadline for submitting comments you can still send it in but we cannot guarantee that we will use it.
You can comment on current planning applications during the consultation period using Public Access.
You need to search for the application you want to comment on.
Once you have found the application, you need to select the ‘Make a Comment’ tab.
If you have a detailed comment, you may want to write it in another program, such as Microsoft Word, then paste it into Public Access. This is because sessions on Public Access time out after 30 minutes.
We will make all comments we receive publicly available on the Public Access online planning register. You can find them on the Documents tab. Comments can take up to 3 weeks to appear on the website.
We only acknowledge receipt of comments if submitted online
If the application goes to The Planning Committee, we will let you know the date of the committee. We will tell you how to request to speak at the committee
We will notify you of the decision once made.
Comment by post
We recommend that you use our Public Access online planning register to make your comments. However, we do accept comments submitted by post.
If you do submit your comment by post, you need to include:
- your name and address
- the planning application reference number
You can send your comments to:Development Management Braintree District Council Causeway House Bocking End Braintree Essex CM7 9HB
If you miss the deadline for submitting comments you can still write in but we cannot guarantee that the decision will already have been made.
Planning comments disclaimer
When reading the comments or representations on Public access you should know:
- we have not checked the comments for accuracy
- any views are the author or authors
- we will give comments the appropriate weight in the consideration and determination of the application by the local planning authority
When making a comment or representation on Public access you must:
- include your name and address
- make sure that your comments are relevant because you remain personally and legally responsible for them.
You must not include:
- your signature
- your telephone number
- your email address
- include any information you are unwilling to have published on the internet
- any inflammatory, derogatory, defamatory comments.
If comments contain anything in this list we will identify and remove it. We will do this under the relevant legislation.
We will not consider any information we remove when we determine the application.
You can ask us to remove your name and address. If you do this we will mark your comment or representation as confidential or anonymous. We cannot take these into account when we consider the application.
We will give your name and address to the Planning Inspectorate and the appellant in the event of an appeal. This includes an enforcement appeal.