Braintree town visitors encouraged to use alternative nearby car parks when Manor Street and Victoria Street close
"There are several excellent alternative car parking options convenient for the town centre for drivers to use during the build phase which will help mitigate the impact of these closures."Published: Wednesday, 19th February 2020
Manor Street and Victoria Street car parks will close at 7pm on Sunday, 1st March before construction work starts on the Manor Street regeneration which will bring a new twin level car park, bigger bus interchange, a ‘Livewell’ health hub, homes and other services into the town centre.
During the construction work, drivers who normally park in Manor Street and Victoria Street can instead use any of the other Braintree District Council car parks – all of which have capacity and are nearby.
- Station Approach has 135 spaces and is less than a 5 minute walk from the Town Hall and offers short and long stay parking options
- George Yard Multi-Storey is the largest alternative short stay car park with 715 bays for drivers visiting the town centre
- Causeway House offers short stay parking options at weekends and has 212 marked bays
Sainsbury’s* and Tesco** also offer short stay free parking vouchers (Tesco) or refunds (Sainsbury’s) to customers who purchase goods in store. The relevant terms and conditions for each supermarket applies.
Spaces at the Sainsbury’s car park (short and long stay) can in addition be reserved on-line via www.horizonspaces.co.uk (Horizon Spaces).
All of these car parks have disabled bays available for blue badge holders.
Councillor John McKee, Cabinet Member for Corporate Transformation at Braintree District Council, said: “There are several excellent alternative car parking options convenient for the town centre for drivers to use during the build phase which will help mitigate the impact of these closures.
“We do realise however that these changes may cause some inconvenience at first and ask that people bear with us because when complete this project will bring many benefits to both residents and businesses. It will bring improved services, fresh investment and jobs into the town centre.”
The new twin level car park will open when the regeneration scheme is complete in 2021.
- For more information on the alternative car parks, visit: www.braintree.gov.uk/parkalt and/or www.braintree.gov.uk/carparks
* The Sainsbury’s car park is free for the first 30 minutes. It is a pay and display car park with refunds available to customers who spend £5 or more as long as the stay is no longer than 2 hours
**The Tesco car park is free for the first 15 minutes and offers free parking vouchers for up to 3 hours if you spend £5 or more