Domestic abuse

What you can do about domestic abuse

If you are in immediate danger then call the Police on 999.

Get our help

If you cannot stay in your home contact our Housing Options Team using our online form.

Submit a Housing enquiry form

Your Housing Options Officer will support you to explore your options to help you make an informed decision. If you come in to see us, you can bring a friend or an adviser for support.

If you are a housing association tenant you can contact your Housing Officer to talk through your options.

Get expert support

Safer Places offer a range of services to support and guide people through abusive relationships

You can get more information, support and advice from:

Next Chapter; you visit the Next Chapter website or call them on 01206 500585 between 9am to 5pm. They Offer a range of services to support and guide people through abusive relationships.

Compass; you can visit the Essex compass website. There are a partnership of domestic abuse services providing a response in Essex.

Essex Domestic Abuse Helpline; you can call them on 0330 333 7 444. The Helpline is available 8am to 8pm weekdays and 8am to 1pm weekends.

The following websites also offer help and advice about your options:

Anybody can visit the Safer Places website or call them on their 24 hour phone line on 03301 025811

Women; you can visit the National Domestic Violence website or call them on 0808 2000 247

Men; you can visit the Respect Men's advice website or call them on 0808 801 0327

LGBT; you can visit the stonewall housing website or call them on 020 7359 5767

Children and young people; you can visit the Hide Out website

Staying at home and making it safe

Sometimes we may carry out a dwelling survey on your property highlighting security and safety measures. The funding of dwelling surveys depends on your housing tenure. We will need your landlord’s permission.

You can speak to our Housing Options team for more details.

Depending on your circumstances, we may be able to give you advice or help you to remove or exclude perpetrators of domestic abuse from your home. 

This may include helping you to get an emergency injunction. You can get more details from the National Centre for Domestic Violence website or by calling them on 0800 970 2070

You can speak to our Housing Options team for more details.

Refuge and temporary accommodation

If feel you are at risk of harm and need to leave your home, try to arrange to stay with family or friends, if it is safe to do so. You should also make enquiries about refuge or temporary accommodation.

You can get information on refuge and temporary accommodation from

If you are in immediate danger then leave right away and call the Police on 999.

If possible, take some essentials with you such as a change of clothes, toiletries and any medication you need to take regularly. Try to bring important items such as your passport, bank and credit cards and mobile phone.

Do not make a decision to give up your home permanently until you have obtained legal advice.


Housing Services

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today