About the scheme
We want Braintree town centre to be a more attractive and accessible area for residents businesses and visitors. That’s why we are investing over £2.5 million to transform the character, atmosphere and appearance of the town centre.
We have developed a scheme to pedestrianise part of the town centre, that will strike a better balance between the needs of different users of the space.
The scheme will:
- restrict vehicle access for most of the town centre from the top of the high street (near Sandpit Lane) through to Great Square and into a larger open space at Market Place
- much-needed improvements to the condition of the current road and pavements.
- provide a safe, flexible and social space which we can adapt and use for community events, markets and social activities
These attractions will draw people in and keep them entertained for longer generating more trade for shops, restaurants and other local businesses.
You can find out what the new town centre will look like by reading about our designs.
Phases and timings
You can read about the timings and progress of the scheme on our timeline of work.
We appreciate the work will cause some disruption in the short-term. However, in the long-term, we will create a fantastic new open space in the town centre.
Keep up to date
You can email us if you have any questions about the pedestrianisation of Braintree town centre.
You can also get regular updates on news and progress on the scheme and the Victoria Square development by:
- signing up for our free email newsletter
- following our Facebook page