Regulation of drivers and vehicles
We licence anyone who drives a taxi or minicab in our district and make sure the vehicles are safe.
We only issue licences to drivers after we have checked:
- they have a valid driving licence
- they are a fit and proper person
- they understand the relevant law
We also carry out medical and criminal checks:
- when we first license a driver
- at regular intervals
Licensed drivers must wear the ID card which includes their photograph.
When we license a vehicle fo the first time, it must be under five years old.
We make sure that vehicles are:
- pass an inspection every six months to higher standards than the normal MOT test
- are in a clean and tidy condition
- display their license plate on the rear of the vehicle
We also carry out additional unscheduled inspections.