Bus passengers are advised of where to go when Braintree’s Bus Park closes
Temporary bus stops, positioned around the current bus park site, will be open to services from Monday, 23 March.Published: Monday, 16th March 2020
Braintree Bus Park will close after the last bus departs on Sunday, 22 March before construction work starts on the Manor Street regeneration which will bring a new bus interchange, a “Livewell” health hub, twin level car park, homes and other services into the town centre.
During the construction work, temporary bus stops, positioned around the current bus park site, will be open to services from Monday, 23 March. The new temporary bus stops are as follows:
- TWO stops along Fairfield Road (outside the library and job centre) for services towards Braintree Village, Black Notley and Witham
- TWO stops along Manor Street (opposite the Museum) for services operating through the High Street towards Bocking, Chelmsford, Great Bardfield, Halstead and Stansted Airport
- ONE stop on Victoria Street (opposite the Picture Palace) for services exiting Braintree via Railway Street towards Coggeshall Road, Colchester, Halstead and Great Yeldham
Passengers arriving in Braintree on services that currently terminate in the bus park will get off the bus at a new stop next to the existing bus park entrance on Manor Street.
The new temporary stops will contain a “Where to catch your bus” map to direct passengers to the right place for their journey, as well as the relevant bus service departure information.
Council staff will also be present outside the Town Hall for the first few days after the closure to help direct passengers to the right stops.
Cllr John McKee, Cabinet Member for Corporate Transformation at Braintree District Council, said: “We suggest that bus passengers allow extra time for their journeys until they are used to the new bus stop layout. The new temporary stops are located close to the current bus park site which will make the transition easier. We would like to thank everyone for their patience and understanding as these new changes begin.”
A new and bigger bus interchange with nine stands will open towards the end of 2021 after the Manor Street regeneration scheme is complete.
Notes to editors:
- Bus passengers can pick up a ‘Where to catch you bus in Braintree’ leaflet from the Town Hall, Museum or Library
- More information on the new alternative bus stops can be found on our website: www.braintree.gov.uk/tempstops