You should report vehicles that are causing an obstruction or parked in a dangerous position to the Police.
You can use our online form to report a vehicle that you think has been abandoned.
We can investigate reports of an abandoned vehicle if it:
- appears to have no owner
- is in a poor or unroadworthy condition
- has not been moved for at least 2 weeks
- has been vandalised or set on fire
To report an abandoned vehicle you will need to tell us:
- your name, address and contact details
- the vehicle registration number
- the make model and colour of the vehicle
- where it is
- what condition it’s in
- the time and date that you noticed it
Once we receive your report within one working day we will investigate:
- if the vehicle is taxed
- has a current MOT
- who it is registered to
After this, we will:
- try to notify the owner and give them 7 days to remove the vehicle
- put a sticker on the vehicle to show it has been reported as abandoned
If we find out the vehicle is abandoned, we will remove it within 15 working days.
To check that a vehicle has been taxed and has an MOT, visit the gov.uk website.
You can also report an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA.