We carry out three different types of inspection for zoo licences:
We undertake periodic inspections after we have granted you a licence.
We will discuss the inspection with you and give you 28 day’s notice of when we will carry it out.
For new licences we carry out:
- the first inspection during the first year
- the second inspection no later than six months before the end of the fourth year
For renewed licences or a new licence for the holder of an existing licence, we carry out:
- the first inspection during the third year
- the second inspection no later than six months before the end of sixth year
We will carry out a special inspection if we think it necessary because of:
- a periodical report
- any representations made to us or a properly constituted body concerned with any aspect of the zoo management or its animal welfare
- an informal inspection
- any other circumstances which call for an investigation
We carry out informal inspection once in any calendar year where we haven't carried out any other inspection.