Personal licence

Apply for a Personal licence

As well as a Premises licence, you also need a Personal licence to sell alcohol.

The Designated Premises Supervisor named on a Premises licence, must be the holder of a Personal licence.

A Personal licence holder must authorise anyone who does not hold a Personal licence to sell alcohol.

You do not need a Personal licence to sell alcohol in a members' club.

What you need to apply for a Personal licence

To apply for a Personal licence you must be

  • 18 years of age or over
  • hold a licensing qualification such as a BII Level II examination certificate or the EDI NCPLH level 2 qualification

You must get an accredited qualification before you apply for your licence.

The aim of the qualification is to make sure licence holders are:

  • aware of licensing law and
  • the wider social responsibilities involved in the sale of alcohol.

The Home Secretary gives accreditation to providers of Personal licence qualifications. You can find a list of accredited personal licence qualification providers on GOV.UK.

How to apply for a Personal licence

Before you apply for a Personal licence you need to complete a Personal licence disclosure of convictions and declaration form from the Disclosure and Barring service.

Download our application form

To make your application to need to send our Licensing team:

  • the completed application for a personal licence to sell alcohol
  • the completed Personal licence disclosure of convictions and declaration
  • your original personal licence qualification certificate
  • photocopy or scanned copy of your Right to Work in the UK
  • the original Disclosure and Barring service document, which must not be more than one month old
  • two passport-style photographs. One photograph must be endorsed as a true likeness of you and signed on the back by a solicitor, or a person of standing in the community or with a professional qualification
  • your fee of £37.00 Cheques should be made payable to Braintree District Council. If you want to pay by debit or credit card you can email our Licensing team with a daytime telephone number so we can contact you to take payment

You can contact our Licensing team if you have any questions about applying for a Personal licence.


Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 552525

Green and grey text saying tell me more with a white email icon in a green speech bubble

Stay connected

Sign up for our email newsletter to get service updates and the latest news.

Sign up today