There are some sites and organistaions that do not have to hold a Site licence including:
- incidental use within the curtilage of a dwelling.
- a single caravan for not more than two nights and 28 days in any 12 months.
- holdings of five acres or more if not used for more than 28 days in any 12 months and a maximum of three caravans at a time.
- sites occupied and supervised by exempted organisations and used for the purpose of recreation.
- sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members for recreational purposes.
- meetings organised by exempted organisations.
- sites occupied by a local authority.
- sites for temporary and special purposes such as agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling showmen.
- gypsy sites occupied by county councils.
The exempt organisations include:
- The Caravan Club
- The Camping Club of Great Britain and Ireland
- The Scout Association
- The Girl Guides Association