Welcome to the Friends of Bocking Windmill Website.
Bocking Windmill is a listed ancient monument consisting of five floors with a fascinating history.
Although, sadly, not a working windmill much of the original machinery is still in place.
We have a collection of artifacts many of which would have been used in the milling process.
On the ground floor, there are a number of computer presentations which include a photographic tour, especially useful for those visitors unable to climb the four sets of steps.
Some scale models are gradually being produced which are intended to give visitors a closer look at the workings of parts of the windmill.
We hold open days and conduct group visits by appointment and have knowledgeable guides who will explain the workings of the windmill from the very top to the bottom.
The Mill often requires large scale maintenance projects to keep it restored, we have a crowdfunding link below for any donations that can go towards the upkeep of the mill for future generations
The windmill is a post mill with a two-story roundhouse and has been in Church Street Bocking since 1721. It was moved 200 yards up the hill to its present site in 1829 by John English Tabor. It was valued at £270, £208 of this was to repay a debt owing to Tabor.
The mill was worked until 1929 when it was presented to Bocking Parish Council by Mr Edward Tabor.
Then it gradually fell into disrepair until 1962-3 when it was restored partly by public subscription and partly by Braintree and Bocking UDC.
The Friends of Bocking Windmill was formed at that time and has continued to open the mill to the public until the present day.
In 2017 Braintree District Council became responsible for the opening of the Mill with the friends becoming volunteers. In 2019 Millwright Bill Griffiths carried out a re-paint of the Mill exterior and further repairs
Appointments for visits at other times by schools, groups, clubs, etc. may be made by contacting Braintree District Council in the first instance using our contact form. You can also call us on 01376 552525.
There are no parking or toilet facilities at the mill but vehicles may be parked in Church Street. There is a small grassy picnic area.