Working on a property in a conversation area

Working on a property in a conservation area

If your property is in a conservation area, you will need planning permission for some works that would normally be covered by permitted development:

  • cladding the exterior of the building
  • side extensions
  • two-storey rear extensions

You will also need planning permission if you want to carry out work to a tree in a conservation area

Proposals for development in a Conservation Area must preserve or enhance the character of the area.

You also need to apply for permission if you want to demolish all or part of:

  • a building with a volume greater than 115 cubic metres
  • a boundary wall or railing that is higher than one metre if it is next to a highway
  • a boundary wall or railing that is higher than two metres

You can apply for planning permission on the Planning Portal.

Satellite Dishes

You cannot put a satellite dishes or antenna on a chimney, wall or roof slope which both:

  • faces onto a road and
  • is visible from a road

Pre-application advice

If you are planning to carry out works within a conservation area, you should ask for pre-application advice.

A planning officer and a heritage officer will review your proposals and provide advice about:

  • whether you need planning permission
  • the likelihood of your planning application being approved
  • any issues that you need to consider before you submit your planning application
  • the information, forms and documents you need to submit with your planning application to ensure it is valid

For information and advice about living in a conservation area, you can look at Historic England.

Development Management

Address: Causeway House
Bocking End

Telephone: 01376 557779