Witham Street Market set to return this month
A popular street market will be returning to Witham as Braintree District Council announce three new dates over the summer.Published: Monday, 1st July 2019
The first market will take place on Saturday 13th July where a range of stalls are lined up, featuring unique gifts, homeware and garden accessories, as well as street food and drink vendors, Norwegian pastries and fresh produce.
There’ll be a chance to try and buy everything from hand-crafted home accessories, homemade chilli sauces, jams & chutney, and to meet the people behind the products.
Further markets will be held on Saturday 17th August and Saturday 14th September which are all taking place in Newland’s Shopping Centre alongside the regular market at Lockram Lane Car Park. Entry to the markets is free.
Councillor Tom Cunningham, Cabinet Member for Economic Development, said: “The street markets are a fantastic addition to our events’ calendar so we’re really excited to bring it back to Witham this year. Having an attractive, vibrant and modern market adds huge value to the economic, social and cultural fabric of town centres so we’d encourage as many residents and visitors to spend the day in Witham and enjoy what’s on offer in the town.”
James Sheehy, Town Clerk for Witham Town Council, said: “Members are delighted to welcome back the Witham Street Market in recognition of its huge popularity and showcase of interesting retailers and wares. Witham Town Council commends Braintree District Council on this forward thinking initiative to support our local area as a destination of choice and we hope our local citizens will take advantage of this exciting attraction as it returns in July.”
Tina Townsend, Chair of Witham Chamber of Commerce, said: “We are excited to see the street market concept coming to Witham and hope that local residents will make every effort to attend and support it thus establishing the town as a great place to stop and shop in.”
The market was trialed by Braintree District Council as a one-off event in September last year as part of plans to revitalise the regular market, and it proved a great success.
More details about what stalls will be at each market can be found at www.braintree.gov.uk/withamstreetmarket
Here are some of the stallholders you’ll find at this month’s market:
- The Fudge People UK – Traditional and homemade fudge in a range of flavours including chocolate, honeycomb, Oreo, lemon meringue, vanilla & even cherry and almond.
- Handmade by Bee – Fused glass and lamp work items including decorations, trinket dishes, jewellery and other unique gifts to spruce up your home.
- Kens Jerk Kitchen – Based in Witham, they’ll be bringing their take-away Caribbean and Jamaican food to the market, serving up their famous chicken, rice and peas and jerk BBQ wings.
- Wildthings Woodcraft – Wood Carvings and metalwork sculptures, perfect for the home and garden. They’ve been a huge hit at past markets, so definitely worth a visit.
- VDub Tavern – Rocking up in his vintage camper van, Keith will be serving up a range of cold beers, ciders & cocktails to enjoy whilst browsing & having a spot of lunch.