Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Apply online at GOV.UK
Single Person Discount

Single Person Discount

What is Single Person Discount?

Apply online for Single Person Discount

Download and apply for Single Person Discount

Once you've submitted the form we'll check the details and get back in touch with you to confirm everything. We'll usually contact you within 10 working days, but if we're really busy it might take a little longer.

The full Council Tax bill assumes there are at least two adults (aged 18 years or over) living in a dwelling. If only one adult is resident (as their sole or main home) a discount of 25% will be allowed. This is called Single Person Discount. There is no additional charge when the number of adults is more than two.

If a member of your household is in full time education you may qualify for a Student Disregard, which is a 25% discount.

Contact Student Services at the place of study who will issue a Council Tax Student Certificate, which will then need to be forwarded to the Council Tax Section for your discount to be awarded.

If a member of your household is starting an apprenticeship there is a 25% disregard, proving the qualifying criteria are met, please complete the application form.

When someone is on holiday/travelling, or working away from home, this is regarded as temporary absence and the remaining person would not be eligible to claim a 25% single person discount.

How long will the discount last?

The discount will continue for as long as you occupy the property as the single adult. The following types of changes may affect your discount and you should let us know if:

  • Another adult comes to stay with you and this is their main home
  • A child reaches the age of 18
  • You leave the property on a permanent basis*

We need this information to enable us to fulfil our duty to keep the Authority’s records up to date.

You must tell us if you are no longer entitled to claim this discount

Under Regulation 16, The Council Tax (Administration & Enforcement) Regulations 1992 - you must tell the District Council if you are no longer entitled to claim this discount. You must do this, in writing, within 21 days if your circumstances change. If you knowingly claim a discount, to which you are not entitled, this may lead to a criminal prosecution being taken against you and a penalty of £70.00 may be added to your Council Tax account.