Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information


Housing Grants

Disabled facilities grants

Disabled facilities grants (DFG's) are grants that are made available to owner-occupiers and tenants who are registered or registrable as disabled. The aim is to enable them to adapt their properties, as far as is practical, to meet their specific needs.

All Disabled facilities grants are referred to Braintree District Council by Social Services.

To find out if you are eligible for a Disabled Facilities Grant, you should contact Social Services on 03456 037630.

A DFG is a means tested grant. Eligibility depends on savings and benefits received.

Those in receipt of certain means-tested benefits are 'passported' to a full grant and will not have to make a contribution towards the cost of work. These 'passporting' benefits are:

  • Universal Credit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Employment and Support Allowance (not contribution-based ESA)
  • Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not contribution-based JSA)
  • Guarantee Pension Credit (not Savings Pension Credit alone)
  • Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit (where your annual income for the purposes of the tax credits assessment was below £15,050)
  • Housing Benefit

Those who have incomes above this level will need to be means-tested to determine their contribution to the cost of works.

Grants for disabled children are not means tested.

If you are unsure as to whether you would qualify or have a contribution towards the grant payment, please contact us.

Major housing grants

A Major Housing Grant is a means tested, fully repayable grant for the provision of hot water or heating systems, or their repair.

Major housing grants are available only to owner- occupiers or leaseholders with at least five years lease remaining and who have a repairing responsibility .The property to be repaired must be their only or main residence and must have been in their ownership for at least three years. There is an exception for first time buyers who have to apply within 12 months of ownership.

These grants are fully repayable upon the sale or transfer of the property.

Minor works grant 

Minor works grants go towards the cost of undertaking repairs not covered by the Decent Homes standard but if left would have a detrimental affect on the fabric of the dwelling or mobile home.

It is available only to home owners who are in receipt of an income related benefit.