Pet Shop Licences
To apply or renew a pet shop licence, please follow the links below to complete the online application.
The fee for this licence is £237.00.
Any person who trades in pets (which means any vertebrate including fish) must possess a valid Pet Shop licence issued by the Council.
Trade in pets is not permissible from any part of a street, or public place or at a stall or barrow in a market.
Pet shop duties
Licences are issued by the Council,upon receipt of the application the premises will be inspected by an officer from the Public Health and Housing team to ensure the following:
- Animals will at all times be kept in accommodation suitable as respects size, temperature lighting , ventilation and cleanliness.
- Adequate provisions will be made to keep the animals supplied with food or drink and (so far as necessary) visited at suitable intervals.
- Animals, being mammals, will not be sold at too early an age.
- All reasonable precautions will be taken to prevent the spread of infectious disease amongst the animals.
- Appropriate steps will be taken in the case of fire or other emergency.
If appropriate the Council will seek specialist advice ,especially where exotic pets are being sold. All costs incurred in obtaining this advice will be recharged to the owner
You should be aware that you might require Planning permission for the carrying of a business and you are advised to check with our Planning department prior to operating.