How to claim for benefits

Change of circumstances

What happens if I don't inform the Council of a change of circumstances? 

It is an offence not to tell us about any change of circumstances that affects your benefit.  We may take court action against you.  If we pay too much benefit, you probably have to pay it back. 

Moving House

You must contact the council regarding any changes in your circumstances and provide the relevant proof as this could affect your Council Tax reduction or housing benefits.

Within our district

Outside our district

  • Please contact the council and also put into writing the date you are moving and confirm your forwarding address.

For any other change of circumstances

  • partner moving in
  • starting work
  • additional job
  • any other changes