Duty Planning officer

Duty Planning Officer

When is the Duty Planner available?

A Planning Officer is available to deal with telephone enquiries from 09:30 - 11:30 every Monday, Wednesday & Friday.

The Officer will not be available for face to face contact.

The Officer is contactable, by phone, on 01376 557705.

Before you call...

Before you call the Duty Planner, why not check the Planning Portal website to see if you can find your answer there.  The website contains advice on your permitted development rights and includes interactive guides to help you explore how to progress common householder projects.

What can the duty planner help with?

Informal advice on:

  • Whether planning permission is required (should you require a formal written response then you will need to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate)
  • Assistance with the completion of planning application forms and the plans that need to be submitted
  • General information and advice on national and local planning policy and processes
  • Identify the Case Officer for a planning application and explain where plans can be viewed
  • Signpost callers to the Planning Portal and Planning webpages on the Council’s website

What can’t the duty planner do?

  • Provide an opinion on whether planning permission would or would not be granted (this is a chargeable service called Pre-Application Advice)
  • Discuss the detail of current large or complex proposals (such enquiries should be referred to the Case Officer)
  • Discuss the technical merits of applications, refusals or appeals
  • Agree to any minor amendments to planning permissions
  • Discuss Enforcement enquiries (such enquiries should be referred to the Enforcement team)
  • Discharge any planning conditions on a decision notice
  • Grant immunity from Enforcement


Statements made by planning officers and Council employees are not binding on the Local Planning Authority. It is not the responsibility of the Local Planning Authority to ensure you do apply for planning permission. If you wish to have a planning issue decided conclusively then the appropriate procedure must be used to obtain a formal decision from the Local Planning Authority.

To formally ascertain whether a proposal would require planning permission, it is necessary to apply for a Lawful Development Certificate.

To gain formal advice on whether a proposal is likely to receive planning permission, the Council offers a chargeable Pre-Application Advice service.