Coronavirus (COVID-19)

See our dedicated coronavirus webpage for changes and updates to our services, how to get help in your community and support and advice for businesses.

All coronavirus information
Do I need building regulations?

Do I need building regulations?

When does building regulations apply?

The Building regulations 2010 will apply for most types of building work, including:

  • erecting a new building
  • extending or altering an existing building
  • converting a loft for use as a room
  • changing the use of a building
  • underpinning a building
  • installing or altering drainage
  • installing heating appliances, hot water storage systems or ventilation systems
  • installing solar panels
  • installing replacement glazed windows, doors and roof lights
  • altering or installing a domestic electrical installation
  • renovating existing walls, roofs and floors or works affecting the energy performance of a building.

You might also need building regulations approval for many alteration projects, including if you plan to:

  • replace fuse boxes and connected electrics
  • install a bathroom that will involve plumbing
  • change electrics near a bath or shower
  • put in a fixed air-conditioning system
  • replace windows and doors
  • replace roof coverings on pitched and flat roofs
  • install or replace a heating system
  • add extra radiators to a heating system

You could need approval, or to follow special rules, for works not listed here - so always research your particular project.

Building Control duty officer available

If the works you're carrying out are not listed above or you are unsure whether your works require building regulations, please contact us or feel free to come into Causeway House and see a Building Control Duty Officer who is available on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays between 2.30pm-4.30pm.

Interactive Guide

These simple informal visual guides outline what planning permission and building regulation approval you will need for different types of building works.

Guides are available for detached/semi-detached houses and terraced houses.

Braintree District Council Building Control has produced an introductory guide to give you some additional help if you are thinking of altering your home.