Clear Sacks - Kerbside recycling
What goes in my clear sacks?
Clear sacks are for recycling only and should not be used for general refuse or garden waste; if used incorrectly they will not be collected.
Non recyclable and recyclable items should not be mixed. If they are the load will be seen as "contaminated" and will be rejected by the reprocessing plant.
Please note that leaving bins and/or waste out is in contravention of the Environmental Protection Act 1990. All waste (sacks and bin/s) should be stored securely within the boundary of your property between collections and put out by 7am on your collection day or at the earliest the night before.
What can go in:
- Aerosols (empty)
- Cardboard boxes
- Foil (clean)
- Newspapers, magazines and catalogues
- Paper and card items (without glitter on)
- Plastic bottles, pots, tubs and trays
- Plastic tops (please screw them back on bottles)
What can't go in:
- Bubble wrap
- Clothes, shoes and textiles (view our textiles recycling page)
- Crisp packets
- Dirty, wet or greasy card and paper items
- Food and drink cartons (view our food and drink cartons page)
- Food waste and garden waste
- Glass jars and bottles (please take to your local bottle bank)
- Hard plastic items (toys, cd cases, coat hangers etc)
- Metals (gas containers, paint tins and utensils)
- Nappies (view our cloth nappies page)
- Plant pots
- Plastic film /cling film
- Small items/pieces (under 40mm)
For more details on what can and can't go in your clear sacks view our Recycling and Refuse directory
Recycling around the home video
To be updated on the latest news on recycling, and regularly receive useful information on how to reduce waste, reuse and recycle in your mailbox, subscribe to our newsletter.
Need more recycling sacks?
You can also collect more sacks free of charge from your local Essex library or the Council Office.
To learn about recycling symbols view the Recycling Now website.