Apply to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021.

Apply online at GOV.UK


Before throwing something away, why not check if someone else in the community is interested in having it? 

There are a few ways to give new life to to your unwanted items, and help the environment by creating less waste:

Charity Shops

Charity shops provide affordable, good quality items whilst raising money for charity. The below list shows what charity shops will generally accept as a donation:

  • Clothes and shoes
  • Bags and accessories
  • Books 
  • Children's toys
  • DVDs, CDs and vinyl
  • Paintings and ornaments

For more details please contact individual shops. 

Textile Banks

Old and unwanted textiles can be taken to a textile bank located at one of the recycling centres in the Braintree district.

You can view the Recycle Now website to find out what can go in a textile bank and where the nearest to you is.

Online groups

Freegle is an online platform that helps people give and get items for free in their community. It’s a great way you can support your local community and save items from being thrown away. The types of items you can give and get online on Freegle ranges from furniture, clothing and children’s toys to soil, rubble or even pre-loved garden ornaments. You can pass almost anything on using Freegle.

It’s easy and free to join Freegle – join your local Freegle group today: 

Braintree Freegle 

Sudbury and Braintree Freegle 

or check other groups like Freecyle or Preloved


The latest crazein ethical, eco-fabulous, social and fun fashion. Swishing refers to swapping an item or items of clothing, shoes and accessories with friends and acquaintances. Parties must willingly give an item to participate in the transaction, then they are free to choose something of interest from what others have offered. 

Book a bulky waste collection

If you're having a clear-out of bulky items such as furniture or white goods, call the Tendring Reuse and Employment Enterprise who will collect them for free or for a small charge.