Coronavirus - Residents
We have dedicated this page to coronavirus to make sure you have the very latest guidance, advice and information.
As you can imagine we are currently experiencing a high volume of calls. We know this is a hard time for our residents, businesses and communities, and we are working as quickly as we can to disseminate information as and when it is available.
This is a fast-moving situation and we are reviewing government advice and our services on a daily basis so we can minimise disruption. We will keep this page updated with the latest news and guidance as they come through.
Stay at home to stop coronavirus spreading
The latest NHS advice on staying at home can be found on their website.
You should only leave the house for very limited purposes:
- shopping for basic necessities, for example, food and medicine, which must be as infrequent as possible
- one form of exercise a day, for example, a run, walk, or cycle – alone or with members of your household
- any medical need, including to donate blood, avoid or escape the risk of injury or harm, or to provide care or to help a vulnerable person
- travelling for work purposes, but only where you cannot work from home
How to take care of yourself
- wash your hands with soap and water often – do this for at least 20 seconds
- use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- wash your hands as soon as you get home
- cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth if your hands are not clean
If you are worried about your symptoms, use the online NHS 111 coronavirus service.
You can also visit the Livewell website for more advice on looking after your wellbeing and staying active whilst staying at home.
Video from the NHS
You can keep up to date on Essex County Council’s website for updates in relation to Essex and Essex County Council services.
This information was last updated at 2pm on Thursday 2nd April 2020.