Planning a street party

Street Party temporary event notices and road closures

You will need a Temporary event notice if you want to:

  • hold an event that needs a licence on an unlicensed premises

  • operate outside the terms of your existing premises licence

This includes:
  • selling or supplying alcohol

  • regulated entertainment, including music, singing and dancing

  • providing hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am

Apply for a temporary event notice

Road closures

To organise a temporary road closure for your street, please aim to contact us at least 6 weeks in advance.

  • You’ll need to email us at and we’ll send you an application pack, explanatory letter and a risk assessment form.
  • You will need to fill in all these details and contact certain bodies to make sure there is no objections such as the Police, Fire, Ambulance and bus services.
  • A properly designed diversion route will be required and you must supply a map of the appropriate diversion route and temporary signs for the layout to be approved by ourselves, including how many and where any marshals will be situated stewarding the event.

A map must supplied showing the locations of the following;

  • where all marshals are to be located stewarding the closure,

  • the location of any temporary street furniture such as barriers, road cones or temporary a-frame signage

  • and locations of any fire hydrants.

Signage must be clearly displayed giving sufficient prior notice and remain displayed during the period of closure. Removal of all signage is the responsibility of the applicant and it must be removed and disposed of correctly when the event is finished.

We cannot provide road signs, you can find advice on the street party site.